Powered By Blogger

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Journal #6

Journal #6
            IPads are such a unique tool.  I have had the opportunity to explore the device over the past few weeks.  It appears that there are countless free apps geared towards preschool aged children for practicing colors, shapes, letters, etc.  I have had some difficulty finding apps that are relevant for use with my fourth graders.  I am still searching for a free app that allows teachers (or students) to enter vocabulary words and definitions to practice terminology.  However, I am also hopeful that there will be less emphasis on rote memorization in the next few years. 
            Through our iPad session in class, I downloaded an app called ShowMe.  I was able to use the app the next day.  I had two absent students and I introduced a new math skill.  So, I used the app to do a short mini-lesson and demonstrate a few practice problems.  The students were able to use the internet to see my ShowMe presentation.  The parents of both students replied that it was extremely helpful for them, and the students liked watching a video instead of reading the textbook to try to figure out how to complete the homework they missed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment